Tuesday, February 24, 2009

FancyShmancy Chicken Casserole

Well, I actually cooked dinner again this month and thought I would document the blessed event.

This is a yummy "take" on the boring shmoring typical church pot-luck chicken casserole. I promise this one is different.

Here are the ingredients:


3 cups cooked chicken (bite size)
(clarification....not bite size chickens, but bite size pieces OF chicken. Bite size chickens would be weird....and a little creepy....but now that I think about it, it would save me a lot of time.)
1 cup rice, Can of Cream of Mushroom, Can of Beef Broth, Can of French Onion Soup, 1/2 stick of butter, 1 jar mushrooms, 1 cup milk, 1/4 to 1/2 cup Mayo, Worcestershire, Shredded Cheese

Preheat oven to 325.

If you forgot to buy the jar of mushrooms, you can use your imagination and make a pretend jar.


If you WANT to mess with cooking your own chicken, go right ahead....BUT.....WalMart chickens are only 5 bucks a pop and that's 'almost' as cheap as making it yourself in my book.
By the way, my"book" is called I Don't Like To Touch Raw Dead Chickens So Any Shortcut Is A Good Shortcut.

Besides, I could never in a million years make chicken this juicy. I used only the breast meat of two chickens. If you are brave enough to use the dark meat, too....you could get by with just one bird. Dark meat kinda gives me the heebie jeebies so I go for the extra 5 bucks and just grab another chicken.

Put the cup of rice in the bottom of a 13x9 baking dish

Add the can of Beef Broth, Can of French Onion Soup, and 1/2 stick of butter that you have cut into little pieces.


Then add your pretend mushrooms that you forgot to buy at the grocery store because you are tragically unorganized and incapable of making an actual grocery list so you always forget at least one ingredient. It's the cross I bear.


Cover with foil and bake at 325 for about 50 minutes and get ready to smell the most wonderful smell.


While the rice layer is baking and making your house smell positively DIVINE, put the frozen broccoli in a bowl.

Add the Can of Cream of Mushroom soup.

1 cup of milk.


1/4 to 1/2 cup of May-Oh-NNaise
(Movie reference alert: Extra points if you can name that movie)

A couple shakes of Worcestershire sauce.
I have never learned to say this word...is it:
"War-Chest-tEr-Shire"
"WOOSH-ter-Shire"....
"Woosh"-ter-shear"

Mix all that together and go check on your rice.

If you could smell this, you would kiss me. The Yankee Candle company should make a scent called "Bottom Layer of French Onion Rice from FancyShmancy Chicken Casserole".

Take it out of the oven, increase the oven temperature to 375 and fluff this stuff with a fork.
Fluff, Fluff, Fluff.

After you have fluffed and puffed and blooooooown your house down, spread the chicken stuff on top.

Then, as with all great casserole dishes...

......................all together now

.................... you know what's comin'

....................................here we go, let's all say it on three.

One.............

TWO.......

THREE!

"TOP WITH CHEESE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (And the crowd goes wild!!!!)


Cover with foil again and pop it back in the 375 oven for 30 minutes, then take the foil off and let the cheese get a little gooeyer and browner for about 10 minutes.

VIOLA! It turns green! (sorry about the weird shade of this picture.....I haven't a clue how to take pictures of food.....but trust me, it looked GOOD.)


Lastly, get a pretty red plate and glop some on there and spend the rest of your meal listening to your family tell you, "It's really good..........if you would just leave out the broccoli next time".





5 comments:

Goldilocks said...

Could you please de-bone chicken for me? You make it look so pretty!

Reading Rosie said...

Well Yum! When you come to Tennessee and be my neighbor, make that and we will sit on my front porch eating and drinking hot coffee and laugh at all the skinny girls that go by. :)

JEWELGIRL said...

I got it: An Officer and a Gentleman.
Great chicken and "mayo" recipe. I
have to go shopping now!

Unknown said...

Looks good. Why have you never made that for me? Will you please move to FW and take care of all my "I have to bring a ______" duties? But always leave canned mushrooms out of everything. I only like the fresh ones!

3girlsmom said...

I will make this TOMORROW. And probably the next day. And the next. And the next. Infinity.
Yum.