Friday, December 5, 2008

The End of An ERA

R played his last game ever for Sports Association Fall Football on Wednesday night:-(




(Next year will be school district try-outs.....no more Sports Association. Gone will be the days of nice, clean, fresh, cushy, top of the line mommy and daddy bought pads and helmets.....say hello to cootie city having to use community equipment from the school!)


We have been with this team for what seems like forever and it has been a great ride.

Wednesday night's game was the first playoff game against the Cardinals. The game started off looking good for the boys.



(That's R's hand hiking the ball.....when your kid plays center, it's REALLY hard to get a picture of him in action since he's in the middle getting pummeled...so just revel in the glory that is his right gloved hand and know he is AWESOME!)



So......touchdown numero uno.




Touchdown numero dos.



In the above picture it was a pleasant 73 degress out, no rain, no wind.


Then, THIS happened.

You could just hear Charles Ingalls saying, "Half-Pint.....Hurry! We have to get the horses in the barn...........tell Ma to get those babies in the storm cellar........it's a commin a big one!"

In a little less than 45 minutes time, the coldest crappiest yuckiest front blew in and the temperature dropped to mid 50's and it started pouring down icy cold miserable rain.
All the "prepared" moms had umbrellas, ponchos, tarps, etc. because they
are, well................."prepared".
I am not one of them, unfortunately.
Prepared moms always have what they need. If it starts raining while they are in a store, they have an umbrella in their purse. If it's raining while they are in the parking lot trying to get IN the store, they have one in their car.
My umbrella always seems to be where I'm NOT. I own one, just have never had the chance to use it. I think it's still in it's original packaging.....somewhere........where I'm NOT.

I am fascinated by these moms. They are what I want to be when I grow up.
Okay-----I'm done dwelling on my shortcomings........ON WITH THE STORY!
Prepared Mom Exhibit A: Mrs. W with her orange poncho.

(And I can use these "court" terms like "Exhibit A"........my sister's a lawyer, you know)




Exhibit B: Prepared Mrs. R. (she even had a tarp thingy for the kiddos!)





Thank goodness for prepared friends. Mrs. W. gave me an extra poncho and Papa Bear and Goldilocks let me hang out under their umbrella....ella...ella....ella.....ella...hey...hey....under their umbrella......ella.......



The rain kept coming coming coming.......temperature kept dropping dropping dropping.





We were the "Home" team so here's the scoreboard with a few seconds to go and we are three points ahead.


Almost there............................................. just 36 more seconds until we are one step closer to the SuperBowl....................................



And then, sadly, over the next 4 seconds.................THIS happened.



Which meant that this happened....................



Which meant that THIS had to happen..........



One last coach talk at the end of a game.



One last huddle.






One more "retired" jersey.

Bye #66! You had a great season and we are so proud of you!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Man, after reading that, I really wish I would have made it to a game! And Andrea, you probably should wish I would have made it as well because, alas, although not a "prepared mom" (due to the lack of kids), you know I got that gene and would have had an umbrella ella ella for us to share.

Will you guys move to FW?

Goldilocks said...

Awesome pictures snow-