Sunday, December 14, 2008

Ornaments Are Not Just For Trees

This year I decided to do something a little creative with some of my favorite ornaments.

Often times, when I just stick them all on the tree, I can't really "focus" on them since they are all in one big lump of happy holiday hullabaloo in the corner of my dining room.
I took all the ornaments out and pondered what I could do.............here is what I came up with:
I made an ornamental "Sports Tribute" to the sports in our lives (those are golf balls, in case you can't tell from the flash) over the kitchen table. Why? You ask? Because behind, around, beside, and under, and sometimes even on top of the kitchen table is where all 568 pairs of sporting shoes live most of the time.....I felt it was an appropriate place.



Then, I took my favorite Santa ornament in the whole wide world and hung it on a ribbon on a lamp.


Now, on to the "Fancier" things.........................................

I have been blessed with a Mother-In-Law that loves loves loves to buy me ornaments!

Over the years, she has given me so many beautiful crystal ones that are so sparkly and fancy schmancy! I bought some really thin ribbon and hung them over my dining room table.


I feel like I can finally appreciate them since they aren't hidden on the tree with all the others!





She also loves loves loves to give my boys a Lenox ornament every year (beginning 8 years ago).


I took them all out of their boxes, talked to them a little bit, asked them how their summer was, gave them a drink, and lined them up in yearly order on a shelf, thinking that would look cute........but it looked a little "flat"..........

so I dug down deep into my "inner-Martha" and tried to make them into a cute little grouping.


Drum roll, please.................................................




CAN YOU BELIEVE I DID THIS!!!!!!! Don't feel bad, I'M SHOCKED, TOO!


(And......after I completed this task, I had a strange urge to go put on some lipstick, high heels, an apron and make dinner..............but then I stopped and took a little break until the feeling went away)



(R's 2003 Moose ornament lost 1/2 of his antlers in a bad fall last year as you can see from the above picture. I dropped Someone dropped him in the mad rush to pack up all the Christmas stuff last year the day before Valentine's Day. He's okay, you just have to make sure you look at him when you talk and he tends to lean to the left when he walks.)




(I even included what is left of R's 2001 ornament that I dropped someone dropped on the floor last year)


So............there you have it. Ornaments are NOT just for trees!

Where else can I hang some? (ruthie just heard me say that and ran under the bed........)

No comments: