Monday, April 6, 2009

Chick-Fil-A "In The Beginning" (Chapter 1 of 2)

Here's the deal: I'm upset with the way Chick-Fil-A does their drive-thru.

So I decided to rant blog about it but along the way, the rant story really became two stories in one.

So this is going to be a TWO POST STORY! (Aren't you excited.....and to think, I'm not even charging you for this stuff!)

I am feeling very "literary" today so I will refer to the two parts as Chapter One and Chapter Two. Really original, huh?

Chapter One will be called "In The Beginning" and serves kinda as the "background" of our family's relationship with Chick-Fil-A.

Chapter Two will be called "Can I Just Say?" which is how I start most of my rants off when I call my sister or Goldilocks.

So welcome to Chapter One. Enjoy.
(If you want to fast forward to the juicy part, feel free to skip this chapter go ahead to Chapter Two.)

When I moved to this area of Houston, I was big fat preggo with my first son. Just about the same time we moved here, the Chick-Fil-A Gods decided to construct a free standing unit very close to my new digs.

Now, I had never been a huge fan of Chick-Fil-A, mainly because of my crazy psycho food issues about cooked food once being dead raw food coupled with growing up with a mother who exhibited not so positive attitudes toward "old dead chickens". So, since I wasn't a big chicken eater, the new addition of this fast food chain wasn't that big of a deal to me...............OR SO I THOUGHT AT THE TIME.

While the mega bosses at the Chick-Fil-A Industry were "building a building", I was "building" their biggest client/fan/life long customer in my big fat preggo belly..........G.

Oh sure, as a new mommy I never DREAMED of EVER purchasing fast food for my baby boy!
I honestly thought that "kid's meals" were for lazy parents and trailer trash. MY child was NEVER going to eat anything out of a sack that came from a drive thru. Not MY kid.

I was going to provide the healthiest of choices for him, cook homemade baby food, breastfeed until he was two, limit all sugar intake, etc......you know, all the things that the books tell you that "good mommies" do.

But then I BECAME a mommy and all that book crap went out the window.
(the car window that is......on my way through a drive thru.....HA!)

G was not a big fan of food when he was little. That child could go for days without eating. Thankfully he would get on "kicks" where he would pick one food to obsess over and eat only that food for the entire day.

Okay, maybe two or three days.
Yeah, okay, maybe a week.
OKAY FINE, I'LL SAY IT.............. a month.

He once went 11 days eating only McDonalds french fries. Let's just say that in a mommy's desperate hours she can convince herself that potatoes and ketchup are healthy vegetables.

One night after unsuccessfully offering everything in my pantry to this kid and him just looking at me like, "You have GOT to be kidding me", I drove to the drive-thru window at Chick-Fil-A and purchased my very first "Kid's Meal".

I brought it home, cut the chicken up in little pieces and BAM.........
(Insert large choir singing "Hallelujah" here).........a love affair was born.

G had discovered his first "True Love"..................."Chick-A-Vay an' a Pepper".

(the "an' a pepper meant "and a Dr. Pepper") Yes, okay, calm down, I DID give my toddler Dr. Pepper. At least I gave it to him in a styrofoam cup with a straw and not in a bottle that reeked of second hand smoke with Looney Toon character decals on the side....so cut me some slack.

"Chick-A-Vay an' a pepper" and G became fast friends.........and 15 years later, the friendship is still going strong. Granted, the little 4 piece Kid's Meal has turned into the 12 pack Value Sized Combo..........but the basics are still there.

Nuggets, Waffle Fries and Polynesian. G's three basic food groups.

I've always pictured the groom's cake at G's wedding to be towering party tray of nuggets with Polynesian icing.

And G's first dance with his bride will be this:


So----moral of the story is, "We Love Chick-Fil-A", will always love Chick-Fil-A, and frequent Chick-fil-A probably a little too often.

I think that's why I take this new drive-thru problem to heart so much-----I feel like a member of my family is messing up and I have this need to let them know.

So.............on to Chapter Two.




2 comments:

Reading Rosie said...

Tim Hawkins is great. We love the guy! Have you seen "scary bedtime prayer." I double over with laughter every time I watch it. It is my abnormal sense of humor showing. You are a little off kilter as well my friend :)

Unknown said...

I'm never going to feed my kids fast food, and I will always have well behaved dogs.... haha. This post is funny, now on to part two. I assume when you said "feel free to skip to part 2," that didn't apply to me. ready for quiz.