Thursday, April 2, 2009

Happy Anniversary, Andrea!

Today is a very special day for me. One year ago TODAY, I decided to take the plunge and change the way I viewed food. I woke up that morning armed with my trusty South Beach Diet book, having spent the last week "learning" about foods; what they do, how they work, purposes they serve.



I had also spent the last week doing what every red blooded American woman does right before embarking on a diet..............

go out and gorge myself on any and everything I could get my hands on knowing I was about to essentially "give up all things good and holy". I equated it to a combination of "going to prison" and Jesus' last big dinner party with his BFF's..........gotta have those "last suppers" before they lock you up and throw away the key)

In my mind I did that thing we all do, "Okay, Andrea......THIS TIME, I'm going to stick with it...today is DAY ONE".

This was probably my 50th "Day One of a Diet".

"Day One"'s are always the easiest, it's the Day Two's, etc. that are always the kinks in my grand plans.

I am a professional "Day One"-er.

(Day One of Andrea's New Laundry System, Day One of Andrea's Keep Her Car Clean System, Day One of Andrea's Clean Cat Box System, Day One of Andrea's Clean House System.............you get the picture.)


I'm GREAT at "making" the plan............the "execution"???.....not so much.

Two things were different about this "Day One".

This time I was about to turn 40 and had just seen a picture of myself at Easter that was one of those "Is that ME?" kind of pictures.

Doesn't everyone have one of those pictures?
(No, I would never post that picture...I would rather be dipped in honey and rolled in ants than have to show anyone that picture)


But the BIG thing.....the "Ah-HA" moment


(Get it.....an Ah-HA moment? God, I miss the 80's)

...........was that I had recently overheard Garrett and a friend of his talking upstairs about some kid "with the fat mom".


That phrase really got to me.

Really. Got. To. Me.

At that moment something clicked. I never wanted my boys to be labeled with that description.


I never wanted Garrett or Ryan to have their mother described as "the fat mom"........"funny mom", "crazy mom", "terribly unorganized mom", "her-roots-are-showing- mom", ...those were okay.........but not "the fat mom".

So I guess that basically boils down to how it all started:

A 40th birthday,

an Easter picture, and three little words mumbled upstairs by two teenagers.

I think everyone has to have their "Ahhh-HA" moment.

(Here it is AGAIN......that was THE best video, can I get an "Amen"?)

Those moments are what give you the ability, strength, and stamina to turn a "Day One" into a "Day Two", and then a "Day Three"....and even a "Day 365"!
I know it doesn't stop here. Today I can celebrate, be happy, try on some old clothes and relish in the fact they are too big, but tomorrow morning will be "Day 366" and it deserves as much pomp and circumstance as "Day One" did..........because there's still work to be done!!!!!


Today I welcome yet another "DAY ONE"...................

it's "Day One of Andrea's Make Her Bed Every Day" System....wish me luck.


No comments: