Monday, May 4, 2009

Surprise in the Dishwasher.....a "Guest" post.

Some of the "BIG TIME" bloggers out there often feature a guest blogger.

I guess that's what happens when you are so HUGE and IMPORTANT, you have to have someone guest post just so you can have a day or two to answer your gabillion emails.

I do not have that problem................however, I'm going to post a story that Trey's friend/client/golf buddy/tennis buddy/racquetball buddy sent me this morning.

It is hugely entertaining in a creepy kind of way! Enjoy!

Ladies and Gentlemen..........I give you my very first guest blog entry.....by Ken L.



By: Ken L.

Saturday afternoon, about 1pm.

The golf tournament is on and its time for me to have lunch, kick back on the couch and dine while watching Tiger stomp the field.

As usual, I asked Kim to make me a sandwich for lunch. She brought me the sandwich, but then I needed a nice, cool beverage to wash it down with.

"Kim", I hollered from my reclined dining position on the coach, eyes still affixed to the TV, "will you bring me a drink please, too".

She opened the dishwasher to grab a clean glass and I then heard.....

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"


...Ok, the gears start turning and burning in my head. What would possibly cause her to shriek like that.....


Did she cut herself? No, not a bloody scream.


Did the dishwasher fall out of the holder? No, the scream had too much emphasis. This was important!


Did the dogs eat something gross? No, not enough disgust in the scream.


"Oh", I thought, "The dogs ate my chips off the counter" A usual issue here at our house.


But then I heard it....


"Kenny....THERE'S A SNAKE IN THE DISHWASHER!!!!!"



I jumped from the couch, heaved the dishwasher open, and TADAAAH....




There was a snake in the dishwasher!



Ok...stay calm. Hmmm...Do I kill it, do I catch it....Oh, I got it.......lets get the camera and take pictures!!!!!!


So I got a few good pics. But then he started to slither away....now what.


If he gets away, where does he go? Will he be back? Are there more? Is that thing poisonous? Hmmm....


...and all the while I ponder he is disappearing from sight....THINK FAST!!!!!



I grabbed some tongs from the kitchen, but they were really short. Too short for me, in fact. I wasn't getting bit, that’s for sure.
Here is what the experts say about a pit viper bite, which is what a moccasin is (Cottonmouth)...


The cardinal signs and symptoms of pit viper envenomation include: burning pain (the commonest, earliest sign), puncture wound (50% of the time accompanied by a bloody ooze), swelling, skin discoloration, nausea and vomiting, minty, metallic, rubbery taste in the mouth, sweating, chills, numbness and tingling of the mouth, face, scalp, and wound site, ecchymosis and production of blebs and blisters, erythema and edema progressing from the wound site, weakness, vertigo, haematemesis epistaxis, muscle fasiculations, paralysis, shock, convulsions, loss of sphincter control, melena haematuria, and renal shutdown. Envenomation may include some or all of these symptoms, depending on the severity of envenomation.


yeah, not for me.....



Then Kim says, "If he disappears and you can't show me a dead snake, I am outta here!!!!!"




Well, gotta do what you gotta do.


I grabbed the tools from the garage and started to dismantle the dishwasher in record time, all the while thinking the vibrations from the drill was pissing that thing off and it was gonna jump out any minute.

I couldn't properly dismantle the dishwasher, so I did what any male would do in this situation...

use brute force, a hammer, and a crowbar!!!!!








I got the dishwasher lid off, which is where the snake had gone. I could see him in there, just chillin'.




I took the lid of the dishwasher outside and threw it off into the street.


There it was...a juvenile water moccasin!!!!




He was PISSED!!!!! He was striking every time I got near him. He was small, but I have heard that regardless of the size, they pack a pretty good wallop of poison.



So, as any typical man would do, I chopped his head off with a shovel.....


We then had to head to Best Buy for a new dishwasher. The old one was just that, old. It still worked well, but I can guarantee you it wasn't going to be put back together and still function properly.


So, by the time all this is said and done, that'll be almost $900, with installation.


That works out to about $85/inch of moccasin.


The million dollar question.....

Are there more?


This was a pretty small snake...a juvenile. Where are his brothers and sisters?

Hopefully, we won't ever find out....


Ken


2 comments:

Goldilocks said...

Welcome to the blog world Ken-

Goldilocks

Melissa P said...

You must ease my anxiety and tell my how the heck did it get in there in the first place?????????